The process of bringing a loan out of default and removing the default notation from a borrower’s credit report. To rehabilitate a Direct or a FFEL Loan, the borrower must make at least 9 full payments of an agreed amount within 20 days of their monthly due dates over a 10-month period. To rehabilitate a Perkins Loan, a borrower must make nine on-time, consecutive monthly payments of an agreed-upon amount. Rehabilitation terms and conditions vary for other loan types and can be obtained directly from loan holders.
Types of Loans Eligible for Forgiveness, Cancellation or Discharge
Forgiveness, cancellation, and discharge of your loan means that you are no longer expected to repay your loan.
- Direct Loans!
- Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program Loans!
- Perkins Loans!
- Closed School Discharge!
- Total and Permanent Disability Discharge!
- Death Discharge!
- Discharge in Bankruptcy (in rare cases)!
- alse Certification of Student Eligibility or Unauthorized Payment Discharge!
- Unpaid Refund Discharge!
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness!
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness!
- Perkins Loan Cancellation and Discharge (includes Teacher Cancellation)!